Economic Development Officer
The Village of Wabamun seeks an Economic Development Officer (EDO) to support projects and coordinate activities that advance Wabamun’s economic development efforts. The EDO assists in the planning, development and implementation of Wabamun’s marketing, investment attraction, business retention and expansion and communication activities. The position requires a self-motivated, deadline oriented, creative thinker who is accustomed to working in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision.
This competition will remain open until January 11, 2019 or until a qualified candidate is found
Knowledge of marketing, land sales, project management, and proposal or grant writing is desirable. Experience in rural planning and development considered an asset, as well as effective written communication skills and effective group and interpersonal skills. The successful candidate will have the ability to organize and execute assignments with minimum supervision. Ec. D. Certification, a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Commerce, or an acceptable combination of education and experience is preferred.
This will be a contract position for a period of 12 months beginning in January 2019, start date is flexible. Contracted hours per week are negotiable and salary will be commensurate with hours, qualifications and experience; this position will require some flexibility in work hours and use of a personal vehicle.
Your proposal, along with cover letter, salary expectations, references and resume detailing qualifications and experience must be received by 4:30pm January 11, 2019 and addressed:
Subject: Economic Development Officer
Email submission preferred
Or mail to:
The Village of Wabamun
5217 – 52 St., Box 240,
Wabamun, AB T0E 2K0
Subject: Economic Development Officer
We thank all interested parties however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted
Wabamun – Economic Development Officer
The Village of Wabamun is seeking applications for an Economic Development Officer (EDO). This position requires strong organization, administration and communication skills. The successful applicant will be responsible for a variety of support functions. The EDO will be responsible for assisting in developing and implementing Wabamun’s marketing strategy and coordinating the community’s economic growth and diversification initiatives. The EDO will be tasked with helping Wabamun achieve its vision of being one of the most attractive places to live and work, with an unparalleled quality of life.
The ideal candidate will possess strong organization and time management skills, teamwork and relationship building skills, and exceptional communication abilities. The successful applicant will demonstrate initiative and enthusiasm, have strong computer skills, and will bring to the job personal strengths in exercising good judgment and making informed decisions when dealing with sensitive or confidential issues. The ideal candidate will be task oriented and have the ability to work independently and with others.
This position will require the undertaking of a wide range of business and economic development tasks and activities related to community development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates a variety of activities, including marketing, related to investment attraction, business development, expansion and retention.
- Researches and develops long term objectives, strategies and approaches to community redevelopment and revitalization, business incentives and economic impact.
- Assists in the implementation of economic development plans, initiatives and grant funded projects.
- Serves as staff liaison to the business community providing assistance to facilitate efficient partnerships and relationships.
- Facilitates the completion of required procedural documentation to effectuate project completion.
- Monitors, evaluates and amends goals and action programs in the work plan to achieve stated objectives.
- Conducts meetings/workshops with the business community; prepares and presents economic development plans and information.
- Monitors economic development legislation.
The successful Candidate will also be responsible for a variety of tasks related to Wabamun’s day-today economic development operations. Duties include:
- Coordinate Wabamun economic development and land sales efforts.
- Act as liaison between community and contractors/consultants-develop contract, ensure deliverables are met, monitor payment schedule, monitor project timelines.
- Assist community with necessary research.
- Develop project terms of reference.
- Attend economic development meetings.
- Provide reports to senior administration and council.
- Monitor contractor payment, coordinate approval of invoices and release invoices for payment to finance officer.
Grant applications & Reporting
- Collect information on economic development project status, achievement and expenditures.
- Coordinate grant applications.
- Conduct research as required for application.
- Ensure senior administration and council approval of applications.
- Prepare grant reports as per funding deadlines and submit to funders, ensuring they meet all guidelines and criteria.
- Liaise with funders as required.
- Assist in compiling information and sending materials
- Ensure C.A.O. is aware of contractual arrangements of grants.
The EDO will report to the Chief Administrative Officer.
Working knowledge of MS Office, e-mail, and database systems is required. At least three years of experience, preferably in an economic development environment would be considered an asset. Equivalencies may be considered. Knowledge of economic development principles, practices and procedures along with understanding of federal and provincial programs available for economic development would be an asset.
Experience providing professional client services are required. Knowledge of Municipal systems and processes is considered an asset. A valid driver’s license & the ability to travel are essential.
Note: Final candidate will be asked to undergo a security screening.